APM 2.8 Flight Controller
The APM 2.8 flight controller is an upgraded version of the APM 2.6 flight controller. This flight controller now has the option of using a built-in compass or connecting an external compass. The APM2.8 flight controller is a great flight controller board that can be best used along with DIY quadcopters, drones, helicopters, RC planes, and other UAV's.
This APM 2.8 flight controller for quadcopters and drones features a fail-safe programming option that helps drone enthusiasts ease their problems in the event of low battery or lost control signal. The new I2C interface of the APM 2.8 flight controller allows the user to attach an external compass. It also has pads at the back of the board for the UART0, UART2, I2C, and OSD interfaces.
The APM flight controller is best known for its completely open-source autopilot system. The APM 2.8 flight controller is the best-selling flight controller and is recommended by UAV and Drone experts. The specialty of the APM 2.8 flight controller is that it will help users turn any fixed or rotary-wing UAV into a fully autonomous UAV system. Advanced drone users will find endless options for customization and expanded mission capabilities.
Features of the APM 2.8 Flight Controller Software
- By using Mission Planner maps you can click and add waypoint entries.
- You can select your mission commands with a simple drop-down menu.
- Mission log files can be downloaded and analyzed.
- You can configure the settings of the APM controller to your airframe.
- You can create a hardware-in-the-loop UAV simulator by interfacing your PC flight simulator.
- You also have the option of viewing the output from APM’s serial terminal.
1 x APM 2.8 Flight Controller
Features of APM 2.8 Flight Controller Board
|Model||APM 2.8 Flight Controller Board|
|Input Voltage||12-16 V|
|Processor||ATMEGA2560 and ATMEGA32U-2|
|Micro SD card slot||No|
|Sensors||3-Axis Gyroscope and Accelerometer, Barometer|
|Dimensions||70 x 45 x 15mm|
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a Flight Controller?
- Flight controllers are the central electronic processing units with a number of fixed purpose ports for power, instruments, power electronics respectively, they have a vast array of sensing instruments onboard like accelerometers (tilt, orientation & axial acceleration), gyroscopes (for rotation vectors and motion vectors), GPS or Global Positioning Systems (for geographic position coordinates), compass (for directional orientation) and so much more. The flight controller draws data from all of these instruments and couples it with the input from the pilot to facilitate the desired flight using its complex algorithms and programmed settings.
2. What is APM in Flight Controllers?
- Ardupilot Mega (APM) is a professional quality IMU autopilot that is based on the Arduino Mega platform. This autopilot can control fixed-wing aircraft, multi-rotor helicopters, as well as traditional helicopters. It is a full autopilot capable for autonomous stabilisation, way-point based navigation and two way telemetry with Xbee wireless modules.