TCRT 5000 IR Sensor Module
This IR reflective sensor Module used TCRT5000 IR Sensor to detect color and distance. This sensor module consists of an IR transmitter & an IR receiver. IR Transmitter continuously emits an IR signal which is then reflected by an obstacle and is then detected by the IR receiver. TCRT5000 Infrared Reflective Sensor Module is often used in line following robots, object sorting Robot because this module can sense if a surface is white or black.
The measuring distance range from 1mm to 8mm, and the central point is about 2.5mm. There is also an onboard potentiometer to adjust the sensitivity. The infrared diode will be emitting the infrared continually when the module is powered ON when the emitted infrared light has not been reflected or the strength is not big enough, the receiver diode will be in the off state, and the output pin i.e. DO will be LOW.
- Position sensor for shaft encoder
- Detection of reflective material such as paper, IBM cards, magnetic tapes etc.
- Limit switch for mechanical motions in VCR
- 1 x TCRT 5000 IR Sensor Module
IR Sensor Specifications
|Working Voltage||3.5-5V (DC)|
|PCB Size||32 x 14mm|
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an IR Sensor and why is it not visible?
- An infrared (IR) sensor is an electronic device that measures and detects infrared radiation in its surrounding environment. Infrared radiation was accidentally discovered by an astronomer named William Herchel in 1800. While measuring the temperature of each color of light (separated by a prism), he noticed that the temperature just beyond the red light was highest. IR is invisible to the human eye, as its wavelength is longer than that of visible light. Anything that emits heat gives off infrared radiation
2. What are the types of IR sensor and their difference?
- There are two types of infrared sensors: active and passive.
Active infrared sensors both emit and detect infrared radiation.
Passive infrared (PIR) sensors only detect infrared radiation and do not emit.