TCRT5000 IR Sensor
The TCRT5000 is a reflective sensor that includes an infrared emitter and phototransistor in a leaded package that blocks visible light. The package includes two mounting clips. This sensor is often used for line follower robots.
Applications of TCRT5000 IR Sensor:
- Position sensor for shaft encoder
- Detection of reflective material such as paper, IBM cards, magnetic tapes, etc.
- Limit switch for mechanical motions in VCR
- 1 x TCRT5000 IR Sensor (Pack of 5)
|Detecting range||0.591″ (15mm)|
|Dimensions||4 x 3 x 1cms|
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an IR Sensor and why is it not visible?
- An infrared (IR) sensor is an electronic device that measures and detects infrared radiation in its surrounding environment. Infrared radiation was accidentally discovered by an astronomer named William Herchel in 1800. While measuring the temperature of each color of light (separated by a prism), he noticed that the temperature just beyond the red light was highest. IR is invisible to the human eye, as its wavelength is longer than that of visible light. Anything that emits heat gives off infrared radiation
2. What are the types of IR sensor and their difference?
- There are two types of infrared sensors: active and passive.
Active infrared sensors both emit and detect infrared radiation.
Passive infrared (PIR) sensors only detect infrared radiation and do not emit.